Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fiona Stiles Micro Sculpting Brow Pencil

Hey everyone!!

So I had to hop on here real quick because I'm currently trying out a new eyebrow pencil and we need to talk bout this shit now.

So as we all know the 21 days of beauty at Ulta Beauty just finished and during this sale they had all the Fiona Stiles products on sale for half off, that is fucking bomb-skies because they have a high end price tag and since I already love quite a few things from her line I decided to go ahead and buy a few more things to try out.

That brings us here.

I have been trying out the Fiona Stiles Micro Precision Sculpting Pencil.



This is a mechanical style pencil featuring a fine tip which is what I prefer in a brow pencil.
The first problem that I noticed right off the bat was the shade selection while ordering online, they only have three shades in this eyebrow pencil: Blonde Ash, Warm Brown, and Ash Brown.
So obviously my only option was clear and I chose Ash Brown because I'm not blonde, and my hair is pitch black so no warm brown here either.
Since I already love quite a few Fiona Stiles products I said what the hell and bought two of these, I was sure I'd love it because I'm not that hard to please with eyebrow products since I change my eyebrows with my mood (the only good thing about having sparse brows) and use many different types of products depending on what I'm going for that day and I go through pencils really fast because once again I barely have any brows.



When I finally got these babies in the mail I was way more than a little excited so obviously I ripped one open and washed my face so I could do my eyebrows all over again.

The moment we've been waiting for...
(applies to eyebrow) WTF why is it orange, yes it was warmer than I expected it to be but not super warm. I just don't like any warmth at all in my brow products.
I double checked to make sure they sent me the correct shade and yup there it was written in white: ASH BROWN.

(Below L to R: Pencil #1 built up, pencil #2 built up, pencil #2 single swatched (not built up).
In the first swatch you can see that it clearly has a warm undertone and is not the same as the middle swatch.
You can kinda see in the left and middle swatches there are balled off pieces and a kinda patchiness from the waxiness.
In the third swatch you can see that if you don't build it up there isn't much pigmentation at all yet it still manages to be patchy.)


I can't even imagine how they could call this shade ash which should have been a cool undertone maybe even neutral would have not pissed me off this much.
I figured I'd calm down and finish my brows because the product could be so amazing that maybe just maybe the warmth wouldn't bother me so much.
Finishing my brows didn't go as well as I'd hoped, this pencil is very waxy.
It was so waxy that I had to go over and over just to get a decent amount of pigmentation and by then the pigmentation was there but the wax kinda layers up and gets patchy and clumpy, when you try to brush it through it removes product and creates even more patchiness.
The waxiness also makes it appear kind of shiny and it smears off way too easily.

(The picture below is using pencil #1. You can clearly see the orange-y warm undertone and they also look patchy, shiny, and chunky.)


So with every new product that I try I really do try to give it every chance possible, I've used this a few times a week for the past two weeks and every time I had a bad brow day, it got to the point where I'd only try it on days where I knew I wasn't going anywhere because that's how bad it was.
I even put mattifying primer in my brows (which I do in the warmer months) to try to help with the waxy, greasy overload but nothing really helped.
The thing is it's not really greasy, it's just so waxy that it appears shiny.

For some reason I decided to open the other brow pencil and this one is not warm at all, it's definitely ashy so I'm guessing that maybe that first one was mislabeled or I just got a bad one.
This pencil shade is so much better and I think it would be great for someone with dark brown hair but I still think it's too light for me personally. The pigmentation just isn't there and building it up doesn't work well with this waxy formula.

(This is pencil #2. You can see that this one does have an ashy cool undertone although it is rather light in pigmentation for being their darkest shade. It still looks patchy but it doesn't stand out as much in the ash tone in my opinion. I did build it up but tried to go light to avoid the waxy cake.)


When I use this product very sparingly I don't have any issues with waxy clumping or it being overly shiny but I sacrifice pigmentation and because I have black hair, my eyebrows hair don't blend in very well and it kinda looks shitty close up because the brow shade is way lighter than my brow hairs.

So after two weeks I'd have to say this product was a fail for me.
If you have medium to dark brown cool toned hair the color wouldn't be a problem for you but the waxiness, failure to set properly, lack of pigmentation, and the patchiness are still concerns.

If I really wanted to, yes I could probably make this work. I could set it with brow powder or eye shadow, I could even prime (I did this btw still fail) and set my brows with matte powder but in my case I use pencils on "natural" and quick makeup and brow days so doing all those extra steps would kinda defeat the purpose when I can just buy a different brand and not have these issues.

I do however think that this product might be okay for someone that has full luscious eyebrows to begin with, only because you'd need such little product that maybe these issues wouldn't apply to you but if you're a bald ass bitch like me the stay far away from this.

Oh I almost forgot I've been trying out a loose powder foundation and this brow pencil actually worked better with that one specific foundation.
It took down the appearance of a lot of the shine but I mean obviously it was still lacking pigmentation.
I'll continue trying to make it work until I use it all but I won't repurchase.

Did you pick this up during Ulta's 21 Day's of Beauty?
Let me know in the comments below or hit me up on social media.
Don't forget to subscribe to my blog.




Products Mentioned:

Fiona Stiles Micro Precision Sculpting Pencil







No comments:

Post a Comment