Monday, January 2, 2017

L'Oreal Colour Riche La Palette Noir

Happy New Year everyone!!

What did you guys do for New Years?
Any New Year resolutions?
Let me know in the comments below or hit me up on twitter (@alletse).
Let's talk shit *laughs *.
I stayed in wrapped up like a burrito in the blankies and binge watched the LMN channel,
ugh I love Lifetime movies.
I'm actually watching one right now while I blog (The Perfect Stalker).
I'm obsessed with LMN and the ID channel I find it super interesting especially the true stories and *bonus * I'm already a naturally paranoid person so these don't make me anymore paranoid than I already am (hahaha).
I was reading a post the other day and someone was saying that they can't watch Lifetime movies because they get too paranoid, a bunch of other people agreed. Made me wonder.
Do you like LMN movies? Do they make you paranoid?


Today we're talking about the L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette Noir ($19.99)
This drugstore eyeshadow palette launched early 2016 (if I remember correctly) and was the third palette in the L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette Collection.
I already had the L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette Nude 1 ($19.99) and the
L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette Nude 2 ($19.99) which I actually really liked.
The price does seem kinda high for a drugstore eyeshadow palette but L'Oreal has always been on the higher end of that scale but seems to have actually gotten even pricier in the past 2 years or so
(I guess most drugstore makeup has though).
You can usually find L'Oreal BOGO 50% off at Ulta which would make these palettes around $15 each.

The packaging is really good quality, quite heavy shiny black plastic with a clear window to see the shades inside and gold text details.
There is a mirror inside although it's a little on the narrow side, I personally don't like the mirror in this palette I would rather have no peek a boo window and a bigger mirror.
It also comes with a double ended brush inside, on one end there's a cute little eyeshadow brush which I actually kept and use only for my inner corner highlight. I can't see many other uses for that brush end because it's far too small and flat to really do anything besides detailing.
The other end is a your classic nightmare sponge tip applicator aka shit.
Just rip that bitch off and pretend it never existed.
This packaging is identical to the two previous L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette's.

When I saw this palette I was initially a little hesitant because although I really like the previous two palettes from this collection, I usually avoid an all cool toned palette.
Just a personal preference as I don't tend to reach for the colors in this palette as often and I already have high end neutral palettes that include a cool pop of black, white, silver, or whatever (you get it).
I kept seeing this when I would browse at Target and part of me just wanted to complete my collection I guess, and well as you can see I had no self control.
(swatched in same order as palette shown above, these required 2 swipes for semi decent swatches)


The shades in this L'Oreal Color Riche La Palette Noir Palette are a blend of cool toned whites, silvers, blues, grays, and black.
After opening and swatching the shadows I found it strange that the only mattes in this palette are darker shades and there are only 2, which means that you would have to use this palette in addition to another palette for the basics.
The shadows themselves are very poorly pigmented and powdery, the first three lightest shimmer shades have the most pigmentation of all the shades in this palette yet they still weren't very impressive.
When I finally got around to putting these on my lid I noticed immediately that when you try to blend it, it actually takes the color right off your lid and leaves you with a patchy mess.
I tried to build up these shadows to get more color payoff and to fix the patchiness but that was a fucking disaster and just made the patchiness worse.
Another thing I noticed was that because the color blends into almost nothing that all the medium - darker shades end up looking the same at the end and it was not a good look.
It kind of looked like I had slept in my makeup then woke up and rubbed the shit out of my eyes, I started questioning my own blending skills because I could not make this work.
Okay, okay *sigh * maybe I could make it work if I absolutely had to (like if I was on a deserted island and I found this bitch on the beach hahaha) but that would take far too much work for pigmentation that wouldn't even last, so I don't see the point.

I actually wiped off one eye and recreated the look with some Lorac eyeshadows on only that one eye just to compare and make myself feel better. 
Wish I would have been able to get some pictures, especially of the comparison but they were coming out horrible because I did this really late (or early?) it was 4am and the lighting and everything was just working against me. Plus I had no other makeup on and I looked like a troll but I tried.

My final thoughts?
Stay the fuck away from this palette, this is clearly not the same formula as the other palettes in this collection.
Normally I would say something with lower pigmentation is good for beginners as it hides mess ups and can be easier to blend out and build up but not in this case, this eyeshadow palette is a pass and requires too much work for a shitty outcome.
If you still feel the need to purchase this palette, take a $20 bill out of your purse and rip it to shreds as it's pretty much the same thing.

However I absolutely do recommend the L'Oreal Colour Riche La Palette Nude 1 & Nude 2 palettes,
they have good pigmentation, blendable formula, and a good range of finishes for a complete eye look in beautiful everyday shades.




2 comments:

  1. I have one of the nudes palettes. The first one I believe and it's pretty good for a drug strore palette. I carry that one in my gym bag for days when I get ready at the gym. Good post these shades are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you still feel the need to purchase this palette, take a $20 bill out of your purse and rip it to shreds as it's pretty much the same thing." hahahaha I love this 😂 it's a shame you're not a fan, I wasn't convinced the swatches looked very pigmented in your picture. Think I'll give this a miss!
    Whoopsitshannah.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete