Sunday, May 28, 2017

May BoxyCharm Unboxing

Hey everyone!!

It's BoxyCharm time!
So this month's theme is Makeup is Art, I absolutely love the idea of that theme but yeah (*crickets *) doesn't exactly fit the box.
Makeup is Art makes me think of a more unconventional beauty, bright or bold colors maybe, metallics, I don't know but it'd definitely more ballsy and creative than this.
This box screams basic bitches (maybe that's why I love it so much hahaha).
You all know how good BoxyCharm drama is, this months controversy is about how some are getting a cream contour palette versus a powder contour palette.

Catch up on last month's April BoxyCharm Unboxing.



As usual let's jump right in..


1) Convertible Brow by The BrowGal $35
2) Brow Brush by The BrowGal $12
I received the shade 02.
I was so damn excited when I saw there was going to be a brow powder in this month's box because I was going to buy the Brow Powder Duo by ABH, I mean it was already in my basket and everything but I decided to wait otherwise I might not  have given this one an actual shot.
The brow palette contains one of each 3 shades/undertones: Warm, Neutral, Ash.
I really like this powder but I found that the darkest shade (cool) was still a little warm IMO but the formula is very pigmented and creamy so a little goes a long way.
I used it to set my brow pencil and pomade (tried both) although I did have a little powder fallout when I set my brow hairs with brow gel.
When used wet this powder triesto take on a more pomade style although it's still dry. It did make it easier to draw the shape and fill in individual hairs in the front of my brows but because the formula was so dry it didn't layer well and became patchy if layered or blended out.
I will probably only use this dry because it was as hassle to keep trying to fix the patchiness when wet and I usually just use powders to set anyway.
The brow brush on the angled end isn't the greatest, it's a little more of a fluffier brush which is great for powder and worked good for setting my brow product on my arch and ends but was just not dense and stiff enough for drawing brow hairs or making clean lines when outlining so it also didn't go well when used wet either.
The spoolie end is fucking amazing though.
The bristles are stiff enough to really grab my sparse ass brows but not too firm that it scratches.
I'd suggest you use your favorite brow brush (I used the #12 Duo Brush by ABH) with this powder because the palette is actually bomb but the brush not so much.




3) Round Contour Brush by Crown Pro ($24.99)
I really wanted to like this brush simply because I didn't have a paddle brush yet but after trying it multiple times with different consistency foundations all it does is soak up my foundation and what's left on my face is a streaky mess. I wasted so much product trying to make this work but it's just not worth the hassle or product wasted.




4) Liquid Glow by Temptu ($29.50)
I couldn't find a color on this so I'm guessing everyone got the same shade from BoxyCharm, the shade is a gorgeous champagne slightly rose goldish.
When applied under foundation as a primer or on highlight points, it was very hydrating but the illumination was lost after I applied my makeup.
When mixed into my foundation, once again the glowing factor was non existent and I used equal parts foundation & liquid glow the second time to see if increasing the amount would help but it didn't but still it was super hydrating.
When applied on my cheekbones over my makeup it looked nice but not blinding more of a natural glow and it didn't make my powder underneath get patchy or chunky. The problem with applying over top was that the liquid never fully sets down and remains slightly greasy so it must be set with a powder highlighter which then makes the liquid glow a pretty unnecessary step.
I would suggest that you use this either as a hydrating primer for dry skin or as a mix in to soften any overly matte foundation because it works really well when used in both those ways.





5) Contour & Highlight by IBY Beauty ($40)
This has to be my favorite thing in the box this month.
The top row are all matte highlighting powders and the bottom row are all matte contour/bronze powders. Each row seems to have a warm, a cool, and a neutral shade which is awesome to cater to more skin tones and makes for good mixing as well.
The shades give me Kat Von D vibes and I fucking love the Shade & Light Contour Palette.
The powders layered amaze balls over my makeup, I didn't have any patchiness or muddiness, and they blended out so easily.
The formula was light and buttery with medium pigmentation which is why it blended out so easily. The medium pigmentation keeps you from going zero to crazy and is perfect for building up and looks really natural.


Let me know in the comments below or on social media which contour palette you wanted, which you got, and if you're bitter about it (lol).
Products Mentioned:

Convertible Brow by The BrowGal

Brow Brush by The BrowGal

Brow Powder Duo by ABH

#12 Duo Brush by ABH

Round Contour Brush by Crown Pro

Liquid Glow by Temptu

Contour & Highlight by IBY Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment