Friday, November 18, 2016

Nyx Studio Finishing Powder Review

Hey everyone!!

It's finally starting to get chilly here.
You know it's getting cold when you try to hover over the frozen toilet seat at 3am because it's too cold to sit on (hahaha), I know I'm not the only one.

Today I am reviewing the NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder ($9.99).
This is a loose translucent finishing powder. It does say it's HD but I could give two craps about flashback because let's face it I'm not walking a red carpet anytime soon. It also says that it's mineral based and the only ingredient is silica.

I absolutely love NYX cosmetics. I have a crap load of their products and use a lot of them regularly.
So of course I had high expectations and was super stoked to try this powder that I've been eyeing for far too many months.
I've used this product about 10 times maybe even more, to make sure I got a good feel for it.

First thing I noticed was the smell, it smells very different than any other powder I've used.
It has a very light, lingering, powdery, chemical smell. It's not necessarily bad and wouldn't keep me from using it but it's definitely different and noticeable.
The formula of the actual powder is also different, it's super fine and almost silky if that's even possible (it is btw), probably because it's made from silica (silicon).
Packaging was a simple black and white, like most of their products (my fave).
I also really liked the sifter on this powder, it allowed for you to get a nice amount out easily and wasn't overly messy.

When the exciting moment to bake the fuck out of my face finally came, that is when it all kinda went down hill.
 As soon as I pressed the powder against my skin (I used a damp sponge) it erupted into a giant powder cloud. It went in my eyes, up my nose, and in my mouth.
 I had to leave the room to catch my breath and also to clean my contacts because powder was literally stuck to them in my eyeballs (wtf).
After going back to finish my bake same thing happened but I pushed through and another strange thing I noticed was the powder doesn't really stick to your face at all.
Which is probably half the reason it causes the death cloud in your face.
 I put as much on as I could get to stay and then set the rest of my face with the using a brush.

I didn't give up and tried it numerous times with a sponge, puff, brush, with my eyes closed (hahaha) and the death cloud is inevitable. I even tried to do it super slow and lightly pressing to prevent the cloud but this powder just doesn't stick to your face so that didn't work.
This powder is definitely not made to be used for baking and worked best used lightly with a brush.
I do still use it with a damp sponge you just have to be careful to pick up VERY little product.
You know when I stopped and realized that this said it's finishing powder not a setting powder, it all kind of made sense and I don't know how I missed that bold white lettering on the lid or I could have avoided that whole almost dying situation (hahaha).

With all that being said, here's my final thoughts on this powder.
My face felt silky smooth after using this powder, I'm talking super fucking silky and smooth that I wanted to keep touching my face.
If you don't like silicon primers, you probably won't like this because that's exactly how this makes your skin feel. 
It set my makeup beautifully, lasted all day, kept my oily ass in check, matte, didn't feel cake-y or dry, and I had absolutely nothing negative to say about the final results.
 It almost made me forget about how it tried to kill me before.

Would I recommend this? Yes & No.
Yes! It's amazing to set your makeup as long as you make sure to tap all the excess off your brush.
No, if you're looking for a baking powder or if you have asthma because this clouds up really easily and it was seriously pretty crazy, it also makes it a little more difficult to work with.
Even after all that I actually love this powder for my face and will continue to use it.

UPDATE (2/5/17):
The more I use this setting powder the more I love it!
Not only do I use it to set my face, I love using it to dust away bake.

Leave those comments below or stalk my social media.
https://alletseaesthetic.blogspot.com/p/contact.html

Products Mentioned (clickable links)

NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder



No comments:

Post a Comment