Sunday, February 25, 2018

Shook or Shit: NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation Review

Hey everyone!!

I decided to start a new series on here of hyped products and I'm calling it, Shook or Shit.
It'll be real ass reviews about hyped products that I try.
So welcome to the very first post of Shook or Shit!


I figured since I'm a foundation junkie we'd start this new series off with a foundation.

The NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation.
I was excited af when I heard about this foundation.
I have combo/oily skin and this sounded like a fucking dream, matte yet radiant and long wearing omfg yes, so much yes.
I hesitated and procrastinated for weeks when it finally released because it was so hyped up and literally everyone, their mamas, and their grannies were saying it's their fave.
I was calling bullshit basically.
This is the first NARS foundation I've purchased mostly because the others weren't really what I was looking for, for my skin type, and honestly they just didn't grab me but I do love and regularly use a bunch of other NARS products.
After staring at it in my online shopping cart for what feels like forever, I decided fuck it because based on NARS' claims, it really was what I was looking for in a foundation.
Plus I could give a real ass normies take on this over hyped product.


NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation $49
I purchased the shade Fiji (light/medium w/yellow undertones).
I love NARS packaging and this is just as beautiful as expected, heavy weighted clear glass, simple clean lines, matte black cap, and of course this baby comes with a pump.
I mean fuck, at $49 bucks it better have a pump.
It comes with 1.01 oz which is pretty much standard with 1 oz being the most common average.

I do have a fairly light complexion but being xicana I also have yellow and beige (olive) in my undertones and I was shocked how well this foundation matched me because I guessed online lol, oh and btw I always go for yellow undertones.
It was maybe like barely half a shade darker than my skin but the undertones were spot on, it wasn't overly yellow and definitely has a tiny hint of beige in there (I got lucky because I didn't know that when I ordered it), and once I added my concealer into the mix it really was the perfect shade.
TBH though I'm shocked this shade matched me so well because I'm pretty pasty and this said it was for light to medium skin tones and I'm nowhere near medium, in that case this shade ran pretty light so be aware of that when purchasing online.
This also did not oxidize on me at all.


I used this for a little over a week every time I wore makeup to really get a feel for it.
I have combo skin and I multi prime my skin every time I wear makeup which basically means I use 2 primers every time.
So I was able to try this foundation with multiple matte/pore refining and hydrating/smoothing/illuminating primers and had no compatibility issues with any of them.

Applied with a sponge:
I prefer to use sponges so that was how I tried it out the first few times.
I'm absolutely still obsessed with the L'Oreal Infallible Foundation Blender (their pink sponge) and use this sponge most, so that's what I used for this foundation.
The pump only squirts out a small amount compared to other foundation pumps, it's maybe about half a pump which now makes sense because a little definitely goes a long way.
The coverage of this foundation is fucking insane, it really is full coverage, and the creamy consistency spreads out so easily to cover your face without losing any of the coverage.
It is matte and started to dry down a little but not so quick that you don't have time to blend, just don't oooh and aaah for 10 minutes and you're fine but you don't have to rush or anything though.
The finish of this foundation once applied is beautiful, it has a super healthy glow which is my favorite lately.
It kinda looked as though it'd be a satin finish but it was definitely laying matte on my skin without being too dry or having a powdery finish.
It was just fucking perfect and my skin looked flawless, it covered a few pigmentation marks I have on my face with just the one layer.
The thing that stood out to me is that my face didn't feel heavy or caked on and didn't look heavy or caked on either.
When a second layer was added (although unnecessary) it still looked beautiful and didn't add any heaviness to my face, I did go super light on that second layer though.


Applied with a brush:
I used both the IT Cosmetics #101 Blurring Foundation and the Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki brushes.
The first time I used a brush with this foundation was the IT Cosmetics #101.
Holy fuck balls, I thought the coverage was hella full when I used a sponge but it definitely gets fuller and more intense with a brush.
I can honestly say that when applied with a brush, it is the fullest coverage foundation that I currently own.
With that extra coverage though it did look and feel slightly heavier and when I say heavier I don't mean that it was really heavy in general just noticeably heavier than when applied with a beauty sponge.
There was no way in hell that this needed a second layer with a brush and when I added the tiniest bit of a second layer, it was just too much for me but still looked amaze balls.
The next time when I used the Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki once again fucking crazy coverage and it was just so intense I ended up going over it and pressing it into my skin with the L'Oreal Infallible Foundation Blender.
This still gave me with the crazy brush coverage but took away that extra bit of heaviness I mentioned earlier.
Holy crap it was stunning, flawless, and somehow still looked natural and healthy.

Wear Test (no touch ups):
On all days I set with translucent powders and had no compatibility issues with any of them and it also played well with all the other products I used over top.

The first few times I used it regardless of how I applied it, or which primers & powders I used I did notice it getting shiny around my oily areas (nose & forehead) at around the 6 hour mark but strangely it wasn't really breaking up or anything on my skin just yet and it wasn't a bad shiny.
At the 8 hour mark it was definitely starting to break up on and around my nose and my chin starting looking shiny too and I am not even oily on my chin, my chin's actually normal to dry.
Other than my nose breaking up a little, the rest of my face still looked great but extra luminous.

With absolutely no touch ups on those days I would say it looked amaze balls and lasted for 6 hours.

Wear Test (with touch ups):
For touch ups I blotted with a clean damp L'Oreal Infallible Foundation Blender.
Then used my fave Kat Von D Lock It Blotting Powder (in shade Light)
with an ELF Complexion Brush.

I touched up around the 6 hour mark when I started looking shiny and everything was still looking good.
I already knew from my previous wear tests that somewhere between the hours 6 and 8 things went to shit, so I made sure to catch it and touch up before that happened.
I checked in at hour 8 and everything looked really good this time, no shiny-ness and no breaking up around my nose.
My skin still looked so good and still had a healthy glow but was still matte.
I went to dinner, did one light touch up before I left and by the time I checked in again it was hour 12.
My skin looked shiny but like I said before it wasn't a bad shiny, it was more of a radiance and when I touched my finger tips to my forehead there wasn't any oil on them.
Most important it still hadn't broken up around my nose and it still looked fucking amazing right before I washed it off.
I did add one more touch up of powder right before I washed it off at the 12 hour mark just to see what would happen and I'm gonna say that it definitely felt a tad cake-y with that extra touch up of powder, it looked okay but I just didn't like the way it felt with that last touch up.
Soooo with touch ups it looked amaze balls for 12 hours and that was the longest I wore it.
Shook or Shit?
I can honestly say from a normal person who paid their own damn money for this foundation.
I am SHOOK AF!!
I really appreciated that it was matte and stayed matte but had a natural glow to it because I don't always wanna be super matte and be punished for being a grease ball.
I actually got complemented while wearing this foundation because it looked so natural and healthy on my skin and even though it got more glow-y throughout the day, it still looked beautiful and not greasy (with touch ups).
I agree with their natural looking and breathable claims.
It sat so natural on my skin and didn't accentuate any of the slight dryness on my chin, it melted into my skin but didn't sink into my pores or anything weird, and never felt heavy, cake-y, or mask like.
It also didn't make me break out at all or cause any irritation.
As for their 16 hour claim.
Although it did last 12 hours with touch ups and looked bomb, it wouldn't last must longer than that without getting cake-y from touch ups and so I guess it's up to you whether that is long wearing or not.

Keep in my mind that this review is based on my skin and preferences.
I have combination skin that changes seasonally, currently oily/slightly dry.

What do you think about the new NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation?
Let me know in the comments or hit me up on social media.

Products Mentioned:
NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation
L'Oreal Infallible Foundation Blender
IT Cosmetics #101 Blurring Foundation
Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki
Kat Von D Lock It Blotting Powder
ELF Complexion Brush


No comments:

Post a Comment