Saturday, April 29, 2017

April BoxyCharm Unboxing

Hey everyone!!

I've been so busy this week doing spring cleaning and redecorating my house, I feel like I haven't blogged in forever (exaggerate much? lol).
Lot's of new and exciting things going on with my blog too, I've been working extra hard to improve the overall quality of my blog and incorporate more content.
It's all so exciting.
Okay enough sappy shit.

It's nearing the end of the month, anyone know what that means?
It's BoxyCharm time bitches!!

Don't you just love all the drama that comes along with these box subscriptions?
Seriously just go pick one random picture on their Instagram and entertain yourself.
Omg guys have you seen the spoilers for the May box (*eyes pop out of head *), okay sorry I'm getting off track.
Let's get this shit rolling.



This month's theme is Boho Glow which I think fits pretty well this month both seasonally as well as the products included in this month's box.



1) Hairgurt Smoothing Yogurt Shampoo by Project Beauty ($10)
I received Strawberry Banana.
I've never used any products from this line but I have heard of it before and damn it smells really good actually as it doesn't have that artificial kinda scent which I honestly expected, it was more of a real fruit scent like you just smashed some berries up in a bowl.
This shampoo retails for $10 and although that doesn't seem like a lot, the bottle is hella small with only 4 oz (ouch).
I have booty length hair so for me I don't think this will last very long at all and I also hate using shampoo without the matching conditioner.




2) Lip Gloss by Cargo Cosmetics ($16)
I received the shade Umbria.
This shade is fucking gorgeous. It's a very sheer bronzy nude with a stunning multi color micro shimmer in it, it's not at all chunky or glittery.
You could use this as a gloss on bare lips and it's stunning on it's own but it's also sheer enough to make a beautiful lip topper if you'd prefer.
Here's where the fun ends.
When I swatched this it smells slightly medicated, slightly sweet, slightly unsure of the scent type.
It took me a minute then it clicked this smells exactly like Carmex lip balm.
The packaging, oh my the packaging, it's really light and it just looks and feels kind of cheap.
The wand is no better, it's super flimsy and it feels like it's going to break off.
The gloss itself turned out to be very thick and sticky which applied with a flimsy wand is a bad combo.
This stays sticky on the lips and reminds me of something I might have used in middle school.
Basically the color is the only good thing about this gloss.
I'm shocked that this is $16 and I'm also shocked how many good reviews this had.
Maybe I'm the only one who hates a sticky thick mess on my lips.
Just keeping it real.



(the picture below shows size comparison from dry (pink) to wet (yellow))


3) Blend Squad: 3 Piece Contour Blending Sponges ($36)
One of the things I love about BoxyCharm is that they include brushes and sponges in their boxes because as we all know they can get pricey.
I haven't used this yet on my face so I don't know how good they are but I did use it for swatches.
I know some people like to just dampen their sponges with facial spray only which works great with a super squishy sponge but that won't work with this one.
It's pretty firm and dense so when you dampen it you gotta squeeze it a couple more times than you normally would and really get the water in there, then it plumps up quite big and was squishier than I thought it'd be but still firm.
I can't wait to try out these sponges on my face.




4) Concealer Palette by Measurable Difference ($19.99)
This palette has 16 shades that'll pretty much match any skin tone for multiple purposes: highlight, contour, bronze, spot coverage, and some shades would even work for color correcting.
Wow! These are crazy stiff although that could be fixed with a beauty oil.
In the video clip above you can see finger and brush swatches as well as a blend test
(using the Pur Sponge also in this months box).
I'm gonna be brutally honest here and say these blended out like shit.
These are very dry and super hard to get blended out and they never really looked blended out, they became really patchy and just looked bad, you can also always see the line from where you pplied it after blending because they're so dry.
No doubt these would mess up whatever foundation you had already put down.
Of course you could add a ton of oil but then you would be prone to creasing if used under the eyes and with the amount of oil you might need it could cause problems for oily & combo girls and once again mess with your foundation or risk breaking up on the skin.
It just seems like a lot of work to make this palette useable.
The only way I could see these working out is to use it for blemish or spot coverage UNDER your foundation because they're so hard to blend out that I'm pretty sure they won't budge when you blend your foundation over top.





5) Rodeo Drive Highlighter by Ofra Cosmetics ($29)
I'm gonna say that this right here is the star of the show.
I already owned the Beverly Hills Highlighter by Ofra and I really like it so I was excited to be getting another one.
The shade is definitely more of a light gold with  hint of copper and looked way darker in the pan,
I honestly thought it was going to be too dark for me when I initially opened it.
The formula is buttery, blends out quick & easy, and I love that this highlighter has more of a sheen when applied rather than just pure pigment so you can definitely go light and make it appear more natural and I also believe this is why it does work with lighter skin tones.
In the video above you can see both finger and brush swatches.
I think it applies better with a fluffy highlighting brush rather than a fan brush.

Catch up on March's BoxyCharm Unboxing?

Let me know what you thought about this month's box in the comments below on social media!
Don't forget to subscribe to my blog.



Products Mentioned:

BoxyCharm
($21/month beauty box subscription)

Hairgurt Smoothing Yogurt Shampoo by Project Beauty

Lip Gloss by Cargo Cosmetics

Blend Squad: 3 Piece Contour Blending Sponges

No comments:

Post a Comment