Monday, December 5, 2016

Blogmas Day 5 - Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend

Happy Blogmas Day 5!!

Today we're switching it up with a skin care product, Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend ($24) this brand is exclusive to Target stores by the way.
Pixi By Petra actually seems on the pricier side (and rising) for a drugstore brand and although I haven't tried much of their makeup, I do like their skin care products (so far) based on what I've tried.

I bought this Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend to use with concealer palettes, color corrector palettes, cream contour palettes, and stick foundations but I also sometimes use it with thick matte foundations when I'm extra dry (like now) as well as dried out brow pomades.

The color of the packaging is kinda gross in my opinion, I expect and like the pink on it but I just don't get the green part, I mean with so many beautiful shades of green in this world it's like they picked the ugliest one they could find (lol personal preference obviously).
The bottle comes packaged with a gold cap which you can save for travel or if you don't plan to use it often which I find really nice because somehow oils always seem to find a way to leak.
Inside the box is a traditional glass dropper with a squeeze top like you'd find on most facial oils.
The smell, holy fuck the smell!
It's the perfect true rose scent, it smells just like fresh roses maybe even better. Clean and light.
Most importantly this didn't clog my pores or make me breakout.


I usually just add a couple drops (one for brow pomades) to whatever makeup I'm using it with or on top of the foundation directly on the brush or sponge I'm using.
So far this has worked really great with everything I've used it with, did not make me oily or break up my foundation or makeup, helped blend out the thick formulas beautifully on my skin, and didn't really affect the finish of my foundations and makeup at all (when added to makeup).

(Dun dun dun)

All was well in the land of Rose Oil, I was farting rose petals left and right on anything and everything and hadn't had any issues...
Then I used it with my Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation ($40).
When I used it with my Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation I instantly noticed it was applying patchy, so much so that you could see my skin and redness clearly in the patches as though it wasn't sticking to my skin in certain areas and the more I tried to fix it the worse it got.
I tried to apply a second touch up layer to the patchy areas but that only made it worse.
By this time I had wasted 3 pumps of foundation and ended up having to wash my face.
In case you've never used the Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation, it's a very full coverage foundation you don't need much and I usually do my whole fat head with 1 - 1 1/2 pumps.
The only difference this time was that I had used it with the Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend.
(more on that later)

(*FYI* I love the Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation and have never had any problems whatsoever with it before this)


Exactly as I feared the cold has finally started to affect my skin.
The outer areas of face have started getting drier (combo skin) and my regular daytime moisturizer just wasn't cutting it anymore.
I was on the hunt for a new moisturizer when I decided to add a few drops of the
Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend to my current moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel $26 & $38 jumbo) for the time being.
I've only done this a few times and it worked really well at adding some much needed extra hydration to my skin and although it didn't completely take away these dry patches yet, I have seen improvement.

Now something not so great that I noticed was that when I mix the Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend into my moisturizer it didn't seem to absorb into my skin very well.
It left an oily residue layer on top of my skin, I realized that the few times I had added the PixiBy Petra Rose Oil Blend to my moisturizer I hadn't worn any kind of face makeup because I was trying to heal my dry ass skin.
Then it hit me that the first time I DID wear makeup using the Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend mixed into my moisturizer was the same day I had that horrible Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation disaster.
So obviously something about mixing these two products together just wasn't working out for me.

I decided to try using the Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend by layering it into my skincare routine (not mixing into moisturizer).
I applied it as the final step BEFORE my moisturizer and holy fuck (*fireworks*) it was magical (only applied to dry areas of my face (combo skin)).
It absorbed into my skin just I wanted it to the first time, gave my skin that added hydration I needed, then when I sealed it all in with my moisturizer there was no oily residue on the surface of my skin and it did not interfere with my makeup routine anymore.

I personally wouldn't recommend mixing this with your moisturizer unless you have very dry skin,
because otherwise you might have problems with absorption.

I would recommend this used with makeup or as a skin care layer in your routine, this stuff works freaking amazing.
I'm really glad that I didn't give up on it because I found a way to make it work for me and I'm even more in love with it than before when it was solely used for makeup.

Let me know your thoughts on the Pixi By Petra Rose Oil Blend or facial oils in general below in the comments or on social media.




No comments:

Post a Comment